February 22nd, 2019
- CAFETERIA – Pizza
- NUTTY’S LOCKER – Closed
Operation Wallacea: Mexico 2020
Are you a current Grade 10 or 11 student, with an interest in biology and travelling? Want to travel to the tropical beaches, jungles and Mayan ruins of Mexico for two weeks of hands on biological field research in 2020? Get your SCUBA diving license at the same time. See Mr. Ashurst or the Science Information Board for more info. Meeting at lunch, Today in room 227!
Mathletes…our grade 9, 10 and 11 contests have arrived. Here are two things for you to do
1. Put Tuesday afternoon, next week, Feb. 26, block A (right after lunch) on your calendars, in the cafeteria, as that is when and where the contests will take place. Please try to be there by 12:45 as there are details needing attention before starting and you will want a full hour to do the contest. Late arrivals may not get that full hour
2. Please make your way up to room 307 BEFORE that date and time, if possible, to make out your response form, so that we need less time to deal with those details on Tuesday before starting the contest.
Would the following students please see Ms. Taggart in Room 304 today:
Senior Boys Basketball Island Championship is on the 21st, 22nd & 23rd. Come and support the senior boys team!!!
Ultimate Frisbee – 1st practice is TODAY Friday Feb 22nd 2:30-3:45 and then Monday Feb 25th 3-4 and then Friday March 1st 2:30-3:45 and following that every wed (starting Wed Mar 6th) 7:30am- bell and Fridays 3-4.
WEDNESDAY, FEBRUARY 27th is the annual PINK SHIRT DAY. Please wear any pink clothing to show support for no more bullying. A limited number of shirts will be on sale at lunch on Monday and Tuesday for $10.
Where’s Nutty clue: The place in which he hides, is where all the ancient know to go resides.
The deadline for the February Creative Writing Contest is Feb 25th. Please make sure that all entries submitted to the library by 9:00am.
Interact will be hosting a sock drive February 19th to 28th! Boxes will be located outside the office.
Camosun College INFO NIGHT 2019
February 28, 5:30 – 8pm
Come out to Camosun’s Lansdowne campus for Info Night 2019! This is your chance to see what Camosun has to offer you.
Talk to instructors and program experts, from Interurban and Lansdowne campuses, about the subjects you’re interested in and get the answers you need to make the decision that’s right for you. There will be campus tours throughout the evening and snacks will be available.
Society for Canadian Women in Science and Technology is a non-profit association that promotes, encourages and empowers women and girls in science, engineering and technology. They offer an 8 week free eMentoring Program for STEM Careers. Essentially students will pair up with a female role models across BC in science, tech, engineering & math careers. Over email they will discuss career path, post-secondary life, work environments, finances, work/life balance, and what to do with your degree. Applications are due by April 5th. Please come and see Mrs. Giesbrecht if you are interested.
University of Alberta will be in Victoria to help students register for the University of Alberta!
At this session students will:
- Learn to navigate Bear Tracks for the purposes of course registration
- Build a draft schedule (available to students that have accepted their offer)
- Get advice on course selection
- Meet fellow incoming first-year students
UAlberta Advisors will be on hand to answer all of their questions.
We’ll be in Victoria on Wednesday, March 13.Limited spots are available. Students can register at uab.ca/reg101
School Musical “Mary Poppins” – Tickets can be purchased at the school, online here, or Ivy’s Bookstore.
Graduation Ceremony and Dinner Dance costs and Ceremony tickets can all be paid online through School Cash Online or alternatively you can bring cash or cheque to the office with your form.
Please remember ALL Graduation Ceremony Tickets Requests Forms MUST BE RETURNED to the OFFICE.
Minerva – Learning to Lead™ is a weekend program that provides Grade 11 girls with the opportunity to discover self, develop confidence and explore their leadership potential, while creating a network of women and girls who will support them along their journey. Grade 11 girls are invited to apply for the weekend conference in Vancouver or Prince George with a nomination from a teacher. The dates in Vancouver are May 24-26 and in Prince George June 14-16. You must be available to attend the entire weekend in order to be considered. There is also more information here. https://minervabc.ca/lead/leadership-development/learning-to-lead/
The Greater Victoria School District is excited to offer our next TWO secondary Springboards!
1) On Wednesday, March 6th, the Greater Victoria School District is partnering with Pacific Design Academy (PDA) to allow 16 district students to explore and experience Photography & Graphic Design through hands-on activities, demonstrations, and discussions with PDA instructors:
- Grades 9-12 students are welcome to participate
- Student applications are due on or before Tuesday, February 26th
- Please see Mrs. Giesbrecht in the Career Centre for more information and/or an application form. Or click here for an information poster.
2) On Thursday, March 7th, the Greater Victoria School District is partnering, again, with Pacific Design Academy (PDA) to allow 16 district students to explore and experience Interior Design & Architectural Building Technology through hands-on activities, demonstrations, and discussions with PDA instructors:
- Grades 9-12 students are welcome to participate
- Student applications are due on or before Wednesday, February 27th
- Please see Mrs. Giesbrecht in the Career Centre for more information and/or an application form. Or click here for an information poster
Women In Trades & Technology – Oak Bay is able to send four girls (grades 9 – 12) to take part in a trades and technology day at Camosun College Interurban Campus on Wednesday Feb. 20th from 9:30am to 2:15pm. Please see Mrs. Giesbrecht if you would like more information or to apply. The four seats reserved for Oak Bay will be filled on a first come first serve basis. Don’t delay!
Cst Perry has set up a questions/concerns box at the table in the counsellor center. Please feel free to forward any questions/concerns to Cst Perry in this manner or email her at email@example.com . Starting in November Cst Perry will be posting her office time at OB High through the morning announcements. She encourages everyone to come by to see her about any questions they may have or just even to chat.
A local parent is looking for someone to supervise, facilitate and provide chess instruction to a group of about six 10-12 year olds. This position can be paid or volunteer. Please see Mrs. Giesbrecht in the Career Centre for more information.
O’Keeffe Automotive Service on 1220 Newport Avenue is looking for a part-time worker to come in a few days a week after school to do some basic office work (filing, data entry, etc.). Please see Mrs. Giesbrecht if you are interested in applying.
Need volunteer hours? Like working with kids? Live close to Margaret Jenkins Elementary? EMJS PAC is looking for reliable babysitters that can child mind during PAC meetings at the school, about a two hours 7-9 pm on the last Thursday of each month. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org for more info.
Victoria Highland Games is looking for volunteers. The 156th Victoria Highland Games &
Celtic Festival will be held in Victoria on May 18-20, 2019. Volunteer opportunities include: selling tickets, providing info to visitors, helping with fun competitions and activities, helping out in the Celtic Music tent and so much more! Shifts are about 4 hours each and you can do as many as you wish! Please see the link below if you are interested.
Tsukino-Con 2019 Volunteer Opportunity – Tsukino-Con is a non-profit organization that hosts an annual anime, games, and Japanese culture convention on campus. We support a variety of charities including Child’s Play, the BC SPCA, as well as the Mustard Seed and UVIC Food Bank. This year’s event will be February 22-24, 2019. There are several areas to volunteer, like registration, concession and snack bar, janitorial, coat check, info booth and so much more. For more information on volunteering please click http://tsukinocon.com/volunteer/ .
Youth volunteer opportunities available to students.